Last updated on July 1st, 2019 at 03:18 pm
*This page contains affiliate links to products I recommend. If you purchase something from this page, I may receive a small percentage of the sale at no extra cost to you
Are you considering joining the Walmart affiliate Program? If so, you’re in the right place. We’re going to take a look at this program along with everything you need to know.
This program allows affiliates to earn commissions by placing banner ads or text links on your websites. You’ll earn a commission whenever a visitor follows a Walmart.com link on your website and makes a qualifying purchase.
I’ve put together a huge list of the best affiliate programs, if you’re looking to monetize your blog.
What Is The Walmart Affiliate Program?
It is a program that allows people to sign up and send targeted traffic to their site. Whenever someone buys something through your unique affiliate link, you’ll earn income.
The program is managed through LinkShare where affiliates will have access to a dashboard where you can track your sales, impressions, click-throughs, and commissions.
Affiliates will also have access to data feeds with top-selling exclusive products. Contests and extra opportunities to increase your commission potential.
- URL: affiliates.walmart.com/linksharesignupnew
- Cookie: 3 days
- Commission: category based (see below)
Other Walmart Programs
Walmart is such a huge chain and it seems like there is a retail store in every city in the United States. If you have an e-commerce website or it makes sense to join this program, you’ll be happy to know that they have programs in the following:
- Walmart Canada
- Walmart eBooks by Rakuten Kobo (Earn by referring customers to Walmart eBooks)
- Walmart Mexico
- Walmart BR
- Wal-Mart.com USA
If you’re ready to join any of these programs, you can do so by signing up with Linkshare here.
Now let’s take a look at the commission structure based on categories.
Department & Baseline Offer
- Baby – 4% commission
- Beauty – 4% commission
- Books – 1% commission
- Business & Personal Checks – 18% commission
- Clothing – 4% commission
- Contact Lenses – 10% commission
- Electronics – 1% commission
- Gifts & Registry – 4% commission
- Health – 4% commission
- Home – 4% commission
- Jewelry – 4% commission
- Movies – 1% commission
- Music – 1% commission
- Patio & Garden – 4% commission
- Photo – 1% commission
- Sports & Outdoors – 4% commission
- Toys – 4% commission
- Video Games – 1% commission
- All Others* – 4% commission
What Can You Promote As A Walmart Affiliate?
Just like Amazon, Target, (which we’ll talk about below), Walmart offers a broad range of products that will fit pretty much any blog. You can promote various products to your audience and earn money.
As I’ve shown you above, they have various different categories that are perfect for different types of niche blogs. (although it’s not as big as Amazon).
Whatever your niche is, I have no doubt that you can find something that you can promote.
Popular Categories People Buy From
Affiliates always want to know which categories they should promote or which category is most popular for buyers.
Here’s a list of some of their most visited categories:
- Crafts and Hobbies
- Home Improvement
- Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry
- Baby & Toddler Items
- Sports & Fitness
I’m sure there are tons of other popular categories that you can promote. Before promoting a specific category, make sure that you’re happy with the commission you’ll make.
You’re going to work hard to make affiliate sales. Don’t waste your time promoting products with the lowest amount of commissions.
I’d personally try to tie in promoting products with at least a 4% commission.
How Does The Affiliate Program Work?
If you’ve never been an affiliate before, I recommend signing up with this free training course. It will teach you the basics of affiliate marketing so you can start earning income from your content.
In short, once you signup, you can access your Linkshare dashboard and access archived banners, data feed API’s and other creatives you can place on your site.
Your job is to get people to click on your links and refer them to the Walmart.com site. You don’t have to worry about doing any hard selling.
Don’t worry, I’ll share some tips to help you increase your chances below, so be sure that you scroll to the bottom.
Walmart Affiliate Signup
It’s completely free and easy to join the program. In fact, you can signup today and get approved quickly. As long as your website meets their criteria.
Reasons your website won’t be approved:
- You’re a non-based website or most of your audience comes from outside the United States.
- Your website domain contains “walmart”, “wal-mart” or different variations and misspellings of their brand name.
- You promote violence, explicit material, or illegal activities.
- Your website promotes gambling/lottery, alcohol, or tobacco.
- If your website contains any type of discriminating material against age, race, sex, religion and etc.
- Your site doesn’t contain any type of informational content.
- You’ve just launched your website and it still have an “under construction” page.
Basically, they have the full right to decline or accept any website into their affiliate program. You can read the affiliate agreement here.
As an affiliate marketer, you’ll need to make sure that your blog has an affiliate disclaimer.
Walmart vs Amazon Affiliate Program
Okay, so now you’re wondering what about the Amazon Associates Program? Both the Walmart and Amazon program are somewhat similar. Both have a list of different categories that you can promote.
The difference is that the Amazon Associate program commission structure is completely different than Walmart’s.
Here’s the various product categories you can promote as well as the fixed fee rates.
- Amazon Fashion Women’s Men’s, & Kids Private Beauty, Amazon Coins – 10.00% earnings
- Furniture, Home, Pantry Products, Home Improvement, Pets, Lawn & Garden – 8% earnings
- Ring Devices, Apparel, Amazon Echo Devices, Luggage, Handbags & Accessories, Watches, Jewelry, Shoes, Amazon Cloud Devices, Smart TV – 7.00% earnings
- Headphones, Beauty, Musical Instruments – 6.00 % earnings
- Outdoors, Tools – 5.50% earnings
- Physical Music, Digital Music, Grocery, Handmade, Digital Videos – 5.00% earnings
- Sports, Baby Products, Physical Books, Kitchen, Health & Personal Care, Automotive – 4.50% earnings
- Dash Buttons, Amazon Kindle Devices, Amazon Fire Tablet Devices – 4.00% earnings
- Amazon Fresh, Toys – 3.00 % earnings
- DVD & Blu-Ray, PC Components, PC – 2.50% earnings
- Televisions, Digital Video Games – 2.00% earnings
- Video Game Consoles &Physical Video Games – 1.00% earnings
- Gift Cards, Alcohol Beverages, Wireless Service Plans and etc – 0.00% earnings
- All Other Categories – 4.00% earnings
These are the earnings at the time of this writing. Amazon has the right to change the fee schedule at any time, so make sure that you visit this link to make sure that you’re promoting a category with a good commission.
If I was joining the Walmart program, I’d most likely join the Amazon program as well. You can make more on Amazon for certain categories.
Walmart vs Target Affiliate Program
Yes, Target also has an affiliate program that you can consider joining. Check out what they pay affiliates based on the categories you promote.
Should You Join The Walmart Program?
It’s possible to earn good money with any affiliate program you join. As an affiliate, it’s your job to find the products that your audience needs or wants.
You do that by providing great content that solves your audiences problems and then insert your affiliate links in your content.
If someone finds your article via social media, search engines, email list or etc. Overtime as they trust you and find your content helpful, there’s a good chance that they will buy through your link.
I’d recommend joining either the Walmart, or Target affiliate program. Just because you join a bunch of affiliate programs, it doesn’t mean that you’re going to increase your sales.
Tools to Help You Promote Walmart Online
The cool thing is that Walmart wants to help their affiliates earn money. After all, when you’re successful, they are too.
Here’s some tools that you can use to help you get your affiliate link in front of potential buyers without spamming people.
SDK components makes it easy to add “BuyNow” buttons next to the product that you’re promoting on your blog.
When someone clicks on that button, the product is added to their cart. These types of components reduce the umber of steps required to make a purchase. You can read the SDK documentation here.
Walmart WordPress Plugin
WordPress makes it so easy to use plugins to help you do pretty much anything you want. The Walmart Affiliate Link Plugin, makes it easy to provide your Linkshare ID and link to relevant text so you can promote different Walmart products.
Instead of having to search for products manually, this plugin will find products based on the keywords you use in your content.
If you’re interested, you can check out how the Walmart Plugin works and get it installed.
Related & Helpful WordPress Articles
- How Do I Know If I Installed WordPress.org or WordPress.com
- The 35 Most Important Things To Do After Installing WordPress
Walmart Affiliates Ad Generator for Google Chrome
This Chrome extension can help you use the program faster. You can use it to help you create better content for your blog and see which products people are actually buying.
Check out this video to see how the extension works so you can start using it.
If you’re just getting your blog started, the best thing you can do is sit down and write and publish as many articles as you can in the first month. Make sure that you do your keyword research and write high quality content.
Don’t worry about creating a blogging schedule. Once you write 40-50 articles, you can then create a blogging schedule.
It’s going to take time for Google to find your content. So the sooner you can push out some amazing articles based around low hanging keywords, you should start to see some organic traffic.
At least that’s what I’m noticing with my second site. I was able to write 21 articles in 30 days and check out my Google Analytics stats in the third month.
The best part is that I haven’t written anymore articles for it in over a week. I wrote 53 articles and now I’m letting it grow.
Don’t forget to promote your content via Pinterest. Otherwise, you’ll get depressed on how long it is taking your affiliate site to gain traction.
Final Take Away
Affiliate marketing takes a lot of hard work. However, with consistent effort, there’s absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t be able to earn money from your content.
The one thing that I’ve learned from working on my third site now, is that it takes time to see an income. If you’re willing to put in the work today, you will see an income, but you have to be willing to give it time.
Yes some people have success quickly, but the truth is that’s not the norm. Most people have to put in a lot of hard work before they see it start to pay off.
Hand Picked Articles for You
- 39 Pay Per Lead Affiliate Programs That Can Make You Money
- How To Earn Passive Income Blogging In Your Spare Time
- How to Cloak Affiliate Links In WordPress and Why You Should